Walleye fishing on Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe near Pierre, South Dakota is one of the best places in the world to go walleye fishing. Lake Oahe is one of the largest earth made dams in the world with over 2500 miles of shoreline (that’s more than the California coastline). With all of the points, bays and underwater islands Lake Oahe’s walleye fishing is world class with most walleye measuring 15 to 20 inches and many in the 22 to 28 inch range.
Lake Sharpe is also a great walleye fishery with many limits of fish being caught. Lake Sharpe is nearly 80 miles long with lots of trees, sandbars, flats and current. Fishing for Walleye on Lake Sharpe is unique due to the current and structure but makes for some great fishing. Most walleye on Lake Sharpe are from 15 to 18 inches with many over 20 inches.
Walleye fishing near Pierre, South Dakota starts usually right after ice-out which is in early April most years. On Lake Sharpe using light jigs, tipped with a minnow is the bait of choice. The bite is light so you have to be sharp! Later into the middle of May bottom bouncers with a plain hook or with beads tipped with a nightcrawler is the walleye’s favorite. You can catch limits of walleye in a hurry during this time of year. The walleye bit continues on Lake Sharpe for the remainder of the summer and the bit is usually great the entire time.
In the middle of June, the middle portion of Lake Oahe is starting to take off. Lots of "footballs" (fat walleye!) are being caught using a bottom bouncer with a plain hook and night crawler. Later after about the 4th of July using spinners on the bottom bouncer rigs can be used. During the heat of the summer walleye start moving to deeper water and lead core line is used to get your bait deep into the lake. Later in the fall using crankbaits is very effective and can spawn some very large walleye.
I walleye fish using a Skeeter deep "V" 18 foot boat with a Yamaha 150 Pro V motor, a Minnkota bow mount trolling motor. I have Lowrance fish sonar on the bow and at the captains seat plus an in-dash flasher to give real time depths.
Included in your walleye fishing trip is:
- Experienced guide
- 8 hours of fishing starting early in the morning (7:00 am usually)
- Quality fishing rods and reels
- All bait, tackle and other necessary equipment for the day
- All transportation to and from the hotel
- Fish cleaned and packaged
What you need to bring:
- Lunch, drinks and snacks (Please NO sunflower seeds)
- Proper attire (rain gear, sweat shirt, hat)
- Fishing License
Fishing Trip Rates:
- 1-2 persons - $300 per day
- 3 persons - $325 per day
- 4 persons - $375 per day
- Days Inn - www.daysinn.com
- 520 W Sioux Ave, Pierre, SD 57501
- (605) 224-0411
- Comfort Inn - www.comfortinn.com
- 410 W Sioux Ave, Pierre, SD 57501
- (605) 224-0377
- Fort Pierre Motel - www.fortpierremotel.com
- South Highway 83, Ft. Pierre, SD 57532
- (605) 223-3111
- Governors Inn
- 700 W Sioux Ave, Pierre, SD 57501
- (605) 224-4200
- Holiday Inn Express - (605) 223-9045
- Best Western Kings Inn - (605) 224-5951
- State Motel - (605) 224-5896
- Capitol Inn - (605) 224-6387
- Super 8 Motel - (605) 224-1617